Tuesday, August 11, 2020

When I clambered through a bush (recount)

When I clambered through a bush


GROOAANN…
It was a beautiful autumn day in April 2020, I was extremely bored and wanted an
adventure. Just then my mum called me and my younger siblings into the lounge, she
asked us if we wanted to go to my brother’s friends house* to find our way down, through
the vast bushes to the beach. (*They were away at their farm getaway house).
We all agreed we wanted to go, packed our bags and off we went.


Once we arrived at their house we went into the main opening, thinking that maybe the
family had previously cleared a path at least most of the way. But NO. Finally, we found
our way in but then we realized we had no sense of direction! Suddenly, we noticed we
had some unexpected company; a little fantail was following us. It followed every step of
the way, even though all of the winding vines and the several gauges, but somehow
managed to stay in front. We thought maybe it was looking for its friends or family so
we let it follow us until it had some other company. 


After clambering for about forty minutes I saw a stream and squealed, Look there is a
stream we should see where it leads us!”  because I had a feeling that if we followed it, it
would lead us in the right direction. While strolling along the side of the stream I
suddenly realized that I had somehow started faltering over some slippery, mossy rocks.
In the corner of my eye, I saw a fallen tree, on the normal walk down to the beach through
the path there is another fallen tree and I thought maybe it was that one, so I started
climbing. Soon enough, I noticed that it was definitely not the same tree.


Once we passed the expansive tree the ground started to get quite muddy, but then we
saw the sun and for a few minutes debated whether we should sit down and eat or not,
we all decided to eat on the beach later. Off we went again, still following the shallow
stream, winding left and right. Suddenly, we came to a fork in the road, but I could
smell the salt coming from the beach so I knew we were near it. Then we turned the
corner, to see the beach. “Yay I see the beach!” I exclaimed. Now we were at the hardest
part of all pushing our way through carex geminata (cutty grass!) Finally I reached a
rigidity bridge that leads straight round the corner to the beach. When I looked down
my legs, ankles and fingers were covered in scratches, the grass was as sharp as tigers
claws. Everyone else was still far behind but when they reached the bridge we went
onto the beach to sit down and have something to eat!

The trip was super fun and I would definitely want to do it again but next time I should
really wear pants instead of shorts!

No comments:

Post a Comment